Saturday morning, Ann Claire, her mom and I set out on an early morning adventure to Baird Mountain Blueberry Farm, in between Shelbyville and Lynchburg, TN. We met my mom, aunts and grandmother for a morning of picking the best tasting blueberries I have ever had! Literally, we just picked them off the bushes and ate them. Amazing!
Something about the simplicity of what we were doing, the quietness of the country side and being around my friends and family made it one of my most favorite memories of the summer.
We came away with a combined total of over 60 pounds of blueberries. At $2/pound, it was way cheaper than what you would pay in a grocery store.
I've used about 1/3 of my berries in a pie, coffee cake, pancakes and just eating them by the handful. The rest I've frozen - they keep for up to a year.
I am often easily amused, but it seriously was so fun. You still have a few more weeks left in blueberry season - it is very much worth the hour and a half drive to Baird's!
P.S. One of my friends was making fun of me for not only paying to do manual labor, but enjoying it. Ironically enough, Dateline NBC had a special the very next night about children/migrant workers picking blueberries in Michigan.
I saw that special! Glad ya'll had fun :)
ReplyDeleteOooo, that sounds like fun. I looooove fresh blueberries!
ReplyDelete