I love all things vintage...some of my favorite accessories have been found at vintage stores and flea markets. I also aspire to collect every type of vintage Pyrex dishes I can find.
O.k., I'm getting off course...
I spotted this long, gold mesh necklace at a little boutique. While in the store, I probably went back to it three or four times. I would pick it up, try it on, move on to something else and then go back and try it on again. It was such a one-of-a-kind piece that I knew I wouldn't find again. I ultimately decided I didn't want to spend the money on it, but I literally almost went back at the end of the day to get the necklace. Had we not had to catch a ferry back to our bus, I would have.
But I would have been sorely disappointed. Because it would have been gone.
Fast-forward to tonight. I met up with my mom, and she said she had my birthday gift. I actually forgot that my birthday is about 6 weeks away; so I wasn't even expecting a gift. It wasn't unusual for her to give me my gift early - in fact, I do the same thing.
I opened the bag and there it was! The necklace I had obsessed over three months early...the one I had left behind and all but forgotten about it. And now it had a place in my jewelry box, thanks to my sweet mom. It has a lot more significance than had I just bought the necklace myself.
You are probably wondering where the title "Indian giver...but in reverse" came from. Well, that is because my mom let me know that she has, in fact, worn the necklace five or six times...to work, parties, church, etc. She said the reason she gave it to me early is because she was afraid if she wore it one more time, she'd either loose it or just never want to give it to me.
My mom - a bit off her rocker, but a keeper!
Awwww, that's really sweet.
ReplyDeleteBTW, I didn't know you were into vintage Pyrex too!! I'm just so happy to have a place to store more Pyrex dishes now :)