Background

Friday, November 18, 2011

...these are a few of my favorite things

I know we are still a few days out from Thanksgiving, but I just can't help getting in the Christmas spirit. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I love seeing my family, and I really, really love the food. No one can make dressing (Not stuffing. I'm from Tennessee, remember...) like my grandmother. And I am convinced I could live off of sweet potatoes alone if it came down to it.

But there is just something about Christmas that is so magical. The days leading up to it are busy, yes. Parties, parties and more parties. Concerts, plays, luncheons...they all seem to hit at once. Despite hectic schedules and crowded places, the Christmas season brings so many things that bring a smile to my face. Some little and mundane; and others that bring back some precious childhood memories.

Here is my list!

I love wrapped gifts - I try to wrap as many as I can, as opposed to gift bags. My grandmother always wrapped my presents in the nicest paper with the most exquisite bows and adornments. At the time, it was the last thing I cared about - I just wanted to see what was in that present! But now that she is gone, her attention to each and every gift to her family is what stands out more to than what was inside the box.



Cold weather is my favorite. I lived in my black and white polka dot Target rain boots last year and jumped at any chance to wear them during any talk of rain or snow. I love the look of these Hunter rain boots with warm sock inserts!


I watch Christmas movies year-round; yet I can not choose my favorite between Home Alone (can quote the whole thing), Christmas Vacation (You serious, Clark?), and Love Actually (Hugh Grant dancing to Jump is one of my all time favorite movie scenes).




These old time Christmas light bulbs are not something you see that much any more, but again, something insignificant that brings me back to Christmas at my grandmother's. Her tree was covered in them every year that I remember.


Christmas music starts 24/7 the day after Thanksgiving (at least on the radio), but I may or may not have already listened to a few of my favorites. "Do You Hear What I Hear" by Carrie Underwood (of course) is pretty much on my iTunes repeat; but when it's on the radio, Martina McBride's "O Holy Night" will stop you in your tracks. This particular version is a capella, and it's amazing. It's almost a religious expierence just listening to it.

How fun are these cutesy Kate Spade bow earrings? And I love emerald green as an alternative to red and/or black for a Christmas party!



Who can forget the food? A lady in my office always makes puppy chow (chocolate peanut butter Chex Mix) and I can't help but take extra helpings when she brings it in. I also love those limited edition candy cane Tootsie Roll pops that are now in stores! And sausage balls, and spice tea, and...





I hope that you can find time to appreicate all things that are important and meaningful to you and your's during the season, and in doing so, be sure to stop and remember the true meaning of Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. You and I are exactly alike in all of these ways -- except I've been listening to Christmas music somewhat regularly for about a month! I love, love Thanksgiving (and could live on sweet potatoes too!) but I just can't wait to get all wrapped up in the Christmas buzz and spirit.

    ReplyDelete