As I have said before, I love going to my dentist. He is awesome, I love the staff, and he just so happens to also be my next door neighbor. I recommend him to anyone... I even scored a gift card to Sperry's and 2 movie tickets because of how many patients I have sent his way!
I had my twice-yearly checkup a few weeks ago and he noticed that there was some chipping going on with my teeth from grinding them in my sleep. Next thing you know, I am making an apt. to get fitted for a mouth guard to wear at night. How very cool of me.
This resulted in me asking 20 questions of my dental hygienist. I'm the type that likes to know exactly what to expect and how things are going to go - when it comes to my health or anything along those lines, I want zero surprises.
First I am fitted with the trays. I told her I have a really small mouth, but I guess she didn't believe me...next thing I know, she starts to shove and prod and poke this gigantic plastic contraption in to my mouth. My eyes start to water, I get really hot and I feel like I am about to pass out because I am gasping for air through my mouth and choking all at the same time. It was a situation. And I hadn't even got to the actual molding yet.
I think she finally realized I really do have a small mouth, and I am fitted with a better fitting, more comfortable tray made for children. That's right.
Miss Hygienist proceeds to mix this plastic-y, purple, silly putty goo that would form to my teeth to make a mold for my mouth guard. She shoves the tray/goo in my mouth, forces me to put my head down, and starts coaching me on breathing exercises so I do not throw up all over her while during the procedure. I guess I scared her right off the bat. "Breath in and out your nose. In and out your nose. Don't let me down. In and out your nose." Her exact words, I promise. What took only 30 seconds seemed like 15 minutes.
Now I know this might all seem quit dramatic, but I've never been one to be "strong" when it comes to any out-of-the-ordinary procedures - whether it be at the real doctor, dentist, optometrist, etc. I'm kind of a baby. I was telling my mom this story, and she reminded me that it took 2 nurses to get my throat swabbed when I was little, and even more for shots.
The lady made me feel better at the end when she said I did very well, and that she actually had someone throw up on her earlier this week who went through the same thing. Granted, he was 12, but still.
The best part of this whole story is that the receptionist (who I am friends with) told me that my "ex" had been in literally the day before. Now what a great story that would have been. It's one thing to run in to them at Target or the grocery. You take things to a new level when you run in to them at the dentist getting fitted for a mouth guard at age 29.
I've thought about getting a mouth guard too -- I'm a serious teeth grinder! I remember getting fitted for my retainers back in the day and how weird the whole mold fitting was. I think I kept having the urge to gag.
ReplyDelete