This morning I took my car in for a routine service at the dealership. I was suppose to receive a loaner car, but for whatever reason there was not one available. I took the courtesy van to work. And thus ensued the most awkward 30 min. I have experienced in a very long time.
There were 4 of us in the shuttle. There was the driver, probably in his early to mid 70's. Me. A professionally dressed lady, probably in her 60's; and a suite-clad man, I would guess to be in his 40's. Now, the people individually were not awkward. But sitting in the confines of a 4-door Acura SUV, in rush-hour traffic, sans radio, with three completely mute strangers is just odd. You know how elevators are awkward? Well this was like that, expect instead of a 1 min. ride, it was a half-hour ride.
I debated whether or not I should make small talk. I was sitting in the front and thought it would be weird to turn completely around to the back seat, and ask what these people did for a living, or comment on the weather.
Thankfully, van driver cut the awkward silences by turning on the radio.
Now you think it gets better. But it doesn't.
He turned the radio to 102.5 "The Party". For the next 15 minutes, we listened as he sang (not loud, but loud enough) to hits like "Sexy Back" and "Born This Way". Dude knew ALL of the words. Remember, he was probably old enough to be a grandfather.
Luckily, I was the first to be dropped off at my office. I don't know if I could have kept a straight face much longer listening to him sing "come here girl, go 'head be gone wit it".
That's a perfect descrpition -- being like a 30 minute elevator ride!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness, how uncomfortable. I probably would have compulsively checked facebook and twitter on my phone that whole time to try to make it seem less awkward!
Oh my! In DC, people pick up commuters at the metro stops so they can use the HOV3 lanes. The people are called slugs. There is a website for morning slug lines and there are blogs about slug etiquette! So imagine doing that everyday!!!
ReplyDeleteI can't believe you could be quiet for 30 minutes.
ReplyDelete