As much as I go day-to-day appreciating the random and the hilarious, today I'm going to play a serious card.
Two years ago this morning, it was a Sunday, I got the call I knew was coming but didn't want to receive. I shot out of bed at the first ring...it was my dad. I knew before I flipped the phone open what I was about to hear. And sure enough, it was true. My sweet grandmother, my "Mema", had lost her two and a half year battle with cancer.
I didn't cry right then. I just took a deep breath and tried my best to accept it. No more would she suffer or be confined to her bed. I knew where she was, and it was a far better place than our's here on Earth.
I was her first grandchild and she spoiled me rotten. When I was little, it was all about entertaining me...trips to Opryland, afternoons feeding the ducks at Cheekwood, and Friday nights playing Uno well past my bedtime. As I got older, my relationship with her grew in to a strong bond, and I came to realize that she was not only my grandmother, but she was my friend and my role model.
I was without a doubt one of her biggest fans, and not a day goes by that I don't think of her. My memories are vivid, and they are what carry me through times when I would give anything just to pick up the phone and talk to her.
Saying that I miss her is an understatement, but I will always have our memories!
*This picture is of Mema and my sister, Grace. It is my most favorite picture of her and it sits on my desk at work...just wish I was in it!
This is so sweet! What a lovely memory.
ReplyDelete