Background

Monday, June 21, 2010

A funny thing happened at the pool today...


Happy first official day of summer! It's hot. But you already knew that.

One of my favorite things to do on sweltering summer weekends is to slather on some sunscreen, grab a few magazines and head to the pool. For whatever reason, the stifling heat doesn't bother me and I could sit there reading for hours. I guess you could say I'm a beast.

I went to the pool Sunday late morning. I stayed for several hours and had three different awkward moments that I thought you all would appreciate.

1. I was cooling off in the pool next to a sweet little girl and her mother. All of the sudden the child blurts out "Mommy, her boobies are bigger than your's." Ahh, children... I don't know who was more mortified - me or the mother.

2. A guy, I guess in his late 30's, plopped down on the chair next to mine. He turns to me and goes, "Is it me, or does it smell like pork out here?" Pork? I didn't even know how to answer that. So I didn't! I just laughed.

3. There was a group of older men sitting within an ear shot of me discussing the U.S. Open, oil spill, and other newsworthy stories. All of the sudden, one of them brings up his wife's recent colonoscopy, and proceeds to take out his cell phone & show his buddies the visuals. For once, I find a downside to the camera phone.

All of this within three hours of catching some ray's. Apparently the swimming pool is the new nuthouse.

If this is the kind of excitement I'm going to get from here on out, I'm in for some great weekends poolside!

No comments:

Post a Comment