Background

Thursday, September 23, 2010

mmm pumpkin bread

About a month ago, I posted more or less about how on-edge I was for fall to get here and get here fast!

According to my planner, today is the first day of fall. And yet by the looks of any thermometer, today could easily fit a typical June, July or August day in Nashville.

I'm over it!

To hopefully push fall along, at least in the food category, I am sharing with you a recipe for the BEST pumpkin bread you'll ever eat.

Last year, I made this for the first time on one of the first cooler days of fall. I went after work to grab some of the ingredients I did not have on hand, which included canned pumpkin.

One hour and four (that is not a type-o) grocery stores later, I found canned pumpkin at Wal-Mart. So I bought every can they had left, which was only like 5.

Hopefully with it still being warmer out, canned pumpkin isn't as hard to find as it will be when it cools off in a few weeks.

If you do find it, this recipe is a must - it makes two loafs.

YUM.


Courtesys of the Mountain Brook Country Club Cookbook


1 1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar
2 cups sifted flour
2 cups (or one can) of pumpkin
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon allspice
2 (3 oz) boxes of cook and serve vanilla pudding (not instant!)

Beat together oil & sugars, adding eggs one at a time. Blend well. Add pumpkin. Then add the rest of the ingredients. Pour into two bread loaf pans that have been greased and floured. Bake at 350 for 45 to 50 minutes. Inhale the wonderful aroma! When it's done, sprinkle the top with cinnamon & sugar and slice.



2 comments:

  1. angie-

    we had the same problem finding canned pumpkin. jenny learned to make her own puree from real pumpkins. it only takes about 20-30 minutes and it tastes even better!

    email me if you want details.

    -dano

    ReplyDelete
  2. best pumpkin bread ever---that is if this is the recipe you gave me last year. amazing. i have been waiting for fall just to make THIS bread!

    ReplyDelete