Background

Monday, January 18, 2010

Facebook

I have a lovehate relationship with Facebook.

On one hand, I love how it is so convenient to talk to, reconnect & keep up with friends.

On the other hand, there are so many things that get on my nerves about Facebook. Now, I am sure most of you think that if I'm going to sit here & complain about it, I should just quit. Well I can't! I'm just going to say it. I've thought about it and I just can't do it. It's a good thing I'm not a heavy drinker, or a crack head.

Facebook started towards the end of my senior year of college. From then on, "wall" became a more common noun and "Facebooked" became a new verb. Over the past few years, the social network site has gained so many new bells and whistles that I can't keep up. I still don't know what Mafia Wars or Farmville are. But they are all up in my "news feed".

Status updates are fun...as long as you don't go overboard. People that update every 45 minutes of their day bother me though. "I just woke up." "I am sitting at my desk working." "I had Wheaties for breakfast." Not necessary.

I appreciate everyone who recognizes my birthday on Facebook each year...especially those who I haven't spoken to in eight years. It makes me feel loved! However, I don't do it. If you are my friend, I will call you on your birthday.

Much like the birthday calling thing, if one of these days I ever get engaged and you are my friend, I'll call and tell you. You won't find out first hand on facebook. And please...if I make an entire Facebook album dedicated to my engagement ring, hit me. Just hit me.

Groups. I am not in many "groups" but I've seen a lot of them. They just get more and more absurd. "If your name starts with A,E,I,O or U, Join!". The worst one is "I lost my phone and need your number." Sorry you got drunk, fell in a pool and broke your phone. But Facebook isn't a place where I want to give out my cell phone number. (Random fact...a lot of my friends say I am the only cell phone number they have memorized...probably since I've had the same # since I was 15).

And I haven't quite figured out how to respond to people that post on my wall. Do you write underneath the post? Or on the other person's wall? I have seen both done...I don't know why I care, but I just never know what to do.

I have a boatload of other random observations, but you get the hint. Facebook, although ridiculous at times, is just like watching The Bachelor or looking at a bad car wreck. I can't NOT do it.

But I'm still going to call you on your birthday.

3 comments:

  1. If there was a like button for this post, I would click it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. write back on the other persons wall...I hate when people just post full convo's under your post on their wall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You totally nailed it. The weird thing is sometimes I find myself looking at pictures of either people I do not know or people I hate. Why am I friends with them on FB? Then there are people who are all over FB... writing Happy Birthday to every single person. Hey, if I didn't say happy birthday in HS, I am not going to say it now. And guess what? You're 27! Stop posting pictures of you fall down drunk. Your co-workers can see that. Anywho, love the blog and even though I haven't seen you in forever, I hope we are still friends!

    ReplyDelete