Background

Sunday, January 31, 2010

a white weekend

Last week was a bit crazy. Monday through Thursday I went 90-to-nothing, both at work and after. If you know me, you know that I require an obscene amount of sleep to function the next day and last week I just wasn't getting it...and I felt it. But, I kept going.

Enter Friday morning...

Now remember, I'm Southern. I've lived my entire 27 years in Tennessee/Alabama for college. Very rarely do we get snow, and when we do we freak. Well at least I do. I will not drive in this. Chalk it up to one particular Christmas Eve spent in a ditch...that was all it took to scar me from driving in it ever again.

They let us leave work at around 9:30 Friday morning. After a few errands around town with my Dad as my chauffeur, I was home by 1:00 and ready for my version of a Southern blizzard. Winter is my most favorite season, so I was beyond excited.

And by Saturday morning, I woke up to this.



Snow is beautiful. There is no other force of nature that is so peaceful, calming and serene. Sure, there were wrecks, falls and spills. But stepping outside on Saturday morning, you could hear a pin drop. It was like God put my little world on pause. No cars flying by on the street, no noises from airplanes or birds... just nature in its most pure and simple form.

I loved it. I embraced it. I took full advantage of being stuck at home (well, at one point, in a ditch)... catching up on books, magazines, phone calls to friends and movies. I went sledding with neighborhood kids that were half my age. I had a total blast flying down a hill drenched in ice, on a sled I haven't used since high school.




Life stays busy... no matter your age, no matter your career or relationship status. It just seems to always go non-stop. Rarely do I find myself just staying put. But for the past few days I have done just that, and it has felt good.

I had a jam-packed weekend that I missed out on. I have a bruised elbow from tumbling on the ice, and a knot on my head from running in to a tree. But thanks to our little Southern winter wonderland, my batteries are re-charged.

And it's a good thing... I have a hot date with this guy on Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment