Do you remember the children's book, If You Give A Mouse A Cookie? I had a similar experience yesterday.
I don't know why half my stories come from taking a lunch break, but they do. This one is neither funny (to me at least) nor random...it was just downright annoying. But ridiculous enough to write about.
I had left my lunch at home Wednesday morning so I decided I'd take my new People and head to Panera. Going to lunch alone with a book or magazine is an indulgence of mine. I love it. It's like mid-day therapy. Anyway, I also needed to go get gas because my light had been on for a day already.
I get to Panera after a few attempts at finding a spot in their shitshow parking lot (the one on 21st) only order and realize not only did I not have my debit card, but I did not have my license, either. I had gone out the night before to celebrate my friend's recent engagement and forgot to put my cards back in my wallet.
So, I leave to go cash a check. But mid-way to Suntrust, I realize I can't because I have no driver's license. I turn back around and head to work for someone to loan me $20. At this point, I'm getting nervous that I'm just going to run out of gas all together.
I grab the money (my work peeps are awesome) and fill up my tank. I go inside and stand in line for what seemed like 15 minutes to pay. As I'm finally getting gas, some really chipper girl comes over and said she'd like to clean my windshield because it is customer appreication day. Mind you, huge storm clouds are starting to form, but of course I tell her sure and it takes her longer to clean my windsheild than it did for me to pump gas.
I'm not going to give up on getting my Thai chicken salad, so back to Panera I go, almost totally defeted. I stand in line, order and eat in peace. It was the best tasting salad ever - at this point I would have eaten anything really.
Right as I am finishing up, the bottom drops out of the sky and I get soaking wet going back to my car.
Just another day in the life...but gosh that was a good salad and I had a bug-free windsheild for 30 whole minutes.
I am just amazed that someone at a gas station would offer to clean your windshield!! That doesn't happen in DC.
ReplyDeleteI would kill for a lunch break everyday!
ReplyDelete