I have all respect in the world for those in the food-service industry. From hostesses, to waiters and servers...I don't know if I could ever do it. So, if you are reading this and do or ever have worked for a restaurant, this is in no way a knock to you. It's a knock to Joshua.
O.k. - some background info on my little rant.
This past weekend some friends & I rented a cabin in the thriving metropolis that is Gatlinburg, Tennessee...which is quite possibly the cheesiest town in the South. We had fun doing a whole lot of nothing and it was a great way to get away from Nashville for a hot minute.
So Saturday night we went out to dinner at a really great restaurant "in town". There were 12 of us, which always proves to make things a bit more hectic and slow, no matter where you dine. We were seated promptly and the food was great.
So everything sounds good up until now and you are asking where I'm going with this...?
Our waiter...Joshua. Bless his heart. There is a difference in being friendly, and being totally overbearing and, well, annoying.
Joshua was the later. He started out asking us where we were all from, which I guess isn't so bad. But it didn't stop there.
He literally plopped his happy self right beside one of us and started his monologue about how long his day was and how he's a paramedic, too. Today he helped a girl who cut her hand on glass. So he's also a saint. Oh, and he's in a band and has a two year old son. Good for you, Mr. Multitasker. Now let's just take everyone's order and we'll move on.
Mid-meal, as we were eating, he asked if we wanted to hear a religious or dirty joke. Neither, but thanks. Stop making it weird.
Probably the worst came at the end of the meal as we were paying. He stood at the head of the table and explained to us that gratuity was included in our check but if we wanted to tip more, "please give me cash so that I don't have to share with the bartenders."
Here's a tip: stick to your day job!
No comments:
Post a Comment