Background

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Scattered, Smothered and Covered

I have this weird thing with Waffle House. I don't know if it's an association or an attachment or what, but I have two great memories that have happened because of that restaurant.

In college I went to a fraternity party called "White Trash". Most everyone dressed in their finest redneck gear, but I dressed like a Waffle House Waitress. I went to a Birmingham Waffle House to ask if they would let me borrow some of their flare. Ask and you shall receive! I got a hat, my own name tag, buttons and an apron. I went to the men's section at Wal-Mart and bought these obnoxious black sneakers and huge tube socks and I was well on my way. It was one of the most fun nights of college. I have since worn that costume on two separate Halloweens. I still have it if you ever need to borrow it.

The second is a bit more sentimental and appropriate for this time of year. One Christmas when my sister and I were little, Nashville had a huge ice storm. The power was out at our house and we were trying to find a place to eat before we went to Christmas Eve service as a family. The only place we could find open that late the night before Christmas was Waffle House. So that's exactly where we went. We were sitting there eating when in walked Santa Clause...my dad said he will never forget our deer-in-headlights expressions as we saw the man in red on his big night. More than 15 years later, my dad and whoever he invites along with him will go eat at Waffle House after church services.

Most families have really great Christmas traditions...my family has Waffle House.

No comments:

Post a Comment